Friday, March 21, 2014

Cupcake Surprise Quilt Top

I probably should get back to paper crafting...but I am having SO much fun sewing this last couple of weeks!  My BFF has been coming over on her day off to "play" and I feel like a little kid waiting for our play date each week!

When I joined My Lazy Daisy, the consultant kit included several projects to get us started on our new journey.  One of the kits that I received was the Party Topper - Cupcakes.  While I LOVE the fabrices that come in the kit, I wanted to do something more with the fabric than sew it in a 46" square.

SO I went through a baby quilt book that I recently purchased at my Bernina store here in Omaha and found a quilt that I could make using the amount of fabric that came in the Party Topper kit.

I really feel like these photos need to be rotated...but I honestly don't want to spend the time to do it!  LOL SO just imagine them laying horizontal!!



I thought it would be fun to show you the process of putting it all together!  Kind of cool to see each piece taking shape as they are sewn together.  


After sewing the 3 1/4" square to the 3 1/2 x 6 1/2" rectangle, cut off excess fabric, leaving 1/4 inch seam allowance.


Repeat with 2nd square to end up with partial block below...


Next, sew a 3 1/2" block to both sides of rectangle...


There are rectangles that do not get the squares sewn to them.  They will be sewn to the sides of a 6 1/2" square and will look like the block below...


Sew each layer to create this block...


Then sew 2 blocks together, matching seams, to create 3 rows of blocks that you will sew all together and add 1 3/4" strips of fabric to both sides then top and bottom.


Lastly, sew 4 1/2" strips to the sides, then both top and bottom to complete the top of the quilt.  


I will use the blue fabric as my binding once I have it quilted.  My back will be a soft Minky, which I have not purchased YET!  lol I will not be quilting this myself as I do not have the confidence to do so at this time.  

Let me know if you have any questions!!  

Thanks for stopping by!!

Hope this has inspired you to get out one of those kits you purchased YEARS ago and use it for something completely different than what you purchased it for!!  This was a FUN challenge and I cannot wait to get started on my next project!!  Now to find a baby girl to give this to....

Happy Scrappy Sewing!!  

Jen

1 comment:

Jandws said...

Very nnice blog you have here